Tuesday 15 January 2008

First week back after Christmas

God, I hate the German language, no offence ot any German coming across this, but it really brings it home to me when I have just spent 2 weeks back in England. No worrying about my attempts at murdering the German language, no embarrassment caused by pronunciation.
Tages Karte bitter!
Was?
er..Tages Karte bitter...?
hmm.....was wunschen sie?
A feckin day ticket you muppet....A Tag-es Kar-te bitter!
Oh, ein TA-GES KA-RTE, Alles klaar. Sechs Euro Zehn bitte.
Feck, what did I say wrong?
S-Bahn to work, Monday morning, the normal flat sulllen faces across the carraigeway, staring at you as you discuss your holiday with fellow ex-pats. Two head syndrome, thats what I suffer from every time I speak English.
The city gives way to the old border between East and West Berlin, the tempeartue drops accordingly. Bugger, no bus waitnig for us at the end of the line, a 20 minute wait in the cold, the first full week after the New Year really is the worst week of the year. Xmas markets, Gluhwein, the parties, all a distant memory, here I stand, 10 pounds heavier, in need of a good old de-tox. Green bloody tea anyone?
Still, soon be Friday, Mai Tai time.

No comments: